Thursday, July 22, 2010

Meatloaf

*I will try to remember to take pictures when I cook these yummy meals.

Last night we had some delicious meatloaf. When I was younger, well, really pre-mission, I did NOT like meatloaf. My mom would make it all the time, and I don't think anyone ever ate it but her. I never understood why she kept making it. Luckily, my mission helped me like a lot more variety of food. I am really grateful for that too because now I really like to try all sorts of new foods.

I don't have the exact recipe with me, but I am pretty sure I can remember it:
1 lb ground beef (we substitute that for ground turkey)
I egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp dry mustard (we used regular mustard)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 slices of bread (we used gluten free bread, but I am sure a similar amt of oatmeal would work)
1 tsp sage (we didn't use because we don't have sage)

First beat the egg, then add milk, salt, pepper, dry mustard and mix. Add meat and bread (make into bread crumbs). Mix all ingredients together. (I mix in a large mixing bowl and just use my hands). Place meatloaf in bread pan and cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350. Approximately, 10-15 minutes before meatloaf is finished, I mixed ketchup and a little bit of mustard together and put on top of the meatloaf. It makes a jelly like topping and it is delicious!

Sides:
Squash- cut into slices and boiled. Can add a little butter and salt for flavor.
Red Potato- microwaved for approx. 5 minutes. Put a little butter, salt, and some cottage cheese on top.

This was a delicious meal. It does take a little time to cook, so prepare for that time. I was able to be productive during that time and I cleaned the house, the kitchen and family room, which helped with the exercising part.

Once again, share your healthy recipes please. I would love to have a healthy recipe book someday!!!

Krista

[Side note: We also went and saw Despicable Me last night. It was a freakin hilarious movie!!! "It's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!!!!!" Haha... classic! It is a definite must see!]

3 comments:

Tauai said...

Just an idea, sparkpeople.com has a bunch of really delicious, healthy recipes and ideas for staying motivated and such. The recipes are mostly easy, they're rated by people who have tried them, and it breaks down the nutritional content for you.

Tauai said...

And don't you just love ground turkey? Iosua and I have decided it actually tastes better than ground beef, which is great since it's way healthier. (Even Aidan prefers ground turkey).

Lolly said...

I woke up this morning thinking that I would make meatloaf. What a coincidence. Your recipe is similar to mine but here are a few changes. I do add mustard, but I also put a dash of Worcestershire sauce, I use oatmeal instead of bread because it is healthier, I throw in Italian seasonings, garlic and onion. And, the secret ingredient is shredded zucchini. It does not change the flavor at all but helps to keep it moist and adds tons of nutrients and fiber. Anytime you can get extra veggies into a meal it is a bonus.