Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Summer Slim Down Challenge

My gym is having a Summer Slim Down Challenge. They do it every year, and every year I think to myself "I can win this". Every year, I don't do anything different and end up pulling out of the competition a week later. This year is different. This year, I am motivated to make the change. This year, I have a strong support group. This year, I am making the change.

The Summer Slim Down Challenge is a 2-month long challenge. I keep saying, " Two months- I can work hard and be dedicated for two months!" So for the next two months (and after of course), I am going to tell you about my journey to becoming a better me. A more fit me. A more healthy me.

The challenge started off yesterday. My roommate and I went to our gym (4 Pillar Fitness in Bountiful, UT) and weighed in. I hate weighing in. It makes me lack self-confidence. It makes me upset with myself. It brings up a lot of negative feelings and attitude about myself. I do not like knowing how unhealthy I am, nor do I like having someone else (the person measuring me) know how unhealthy I am. It is embarrassing. It makes me ashamed.

Yesterday was a little different at the weigh in. It was different because I am ready for the change. I am ready for someone to help me become healthy. I am ready to see how my work in the gym and with eating has paid off. I am excited to see how much body fat I have lost and how many inches I have dropped. This is now exciting to me because I have changed my attitude.

This time will be different. I am willing. I am able. I will conquer.

I told a friend I would hold myself accountable to the world (or to the one person who reads this). I am going to write my previous days work on this blog. This includes my workout regime and my caloric intake for the day. If you have any suggestions on great recipes, please share them with me. I am sure after 2 weeks of shredded chicken I will want to gag. If you have suggestions on fun exercise routines, let me know.

For now, this is how my week will look:
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
530: Cardio
530: Body Combat
530: Cardio
530: Body Attack
530: Cardio Conditioning and Body Step
910: Body Step
530: Cardio
530: Weight Training
600: Core
630: Beginning Yoga
530: Weight Training
530: Cardio
1030: Weight Training



If you guys have ideas for cardio, I could really use it. The only thing I am limited by is running. I just had knee surgery and cannot run for 4 weeks.

Yesterday, I did not do cardio in the morning. Sunday was a rough night for me and I didn't fall asleep until after 300am. Lame, I know. I did do cardio from 430-53pm, including an ab workout in between cardio machines. After cardio, I went to a Body Pump class (530-630pm). Google it. It is pretty hard. I didn't know how much weight I needed for the exercises, so I asked a lady. She told me what to get. I, being ignorant, listened to what she said. Whewee. I was sore. I even took some of the weights off because it was too much.

My caloric intake is as follows (I use MyFitnessPal on my phone):

Breakfast (304 cal):
2 eggs
1/4c milk
1 English muffin
banana

Snack (105 cal)
Chiboni Greek Yogurt- pomegranate (YUCK!!)

Lunch (237 cal):
1c sspaghetti squash
2 oz ground turkey
1/2 English muffin
1/2c tomato sauce

Snack (130):
8 garden veggie crackers

Dinner (282 cal)
1c spaghetti squash
2 oz ground turkey
1/2 English muffin
1/2c tomato sauce
1c broccoli

After workout protein (137 cal)
Delicious Choc Protein

Total Caloric Intake: 1195
I was a little under 1200 calories. I need to prepare meals better to ensure I am getting enough calories each day.

Water intake: 6 cups (48 oz). I did not drink nearly enough water. That was about half of what I should be drinking. If you have any suggestions on how you can gag down water, I am in need of your knowledge.

Thanks for taking this journey with me. Again, suggestions are welcomed.

Krista
PS. And before any one says I am working out too much or not eating enough, I am working with a personal trainer and nutritionist. At any time I am feeling too hungry or like I am working out too hard, we will change things around.

PSS. Please do not judge me. I need all the positive support I can have.

5 comments:

Jetta said...

I think I might be the "one person" who reads your blog. Don't worry - it just shows in my google reader. I don't check it every day waiting for an update!

I'm so stinkin' proud of you and excited for the next 2 months (and beyond). You're going to rock that challenge and we're going to make some awesome improvements! Love your stinkin' guts!

Unknown said...

Remember how I forgot you had this blog until it came up on my google reader! Ha I am excited for this change! And I hope people share recipes!!

Erin said...

One word: Avocado! Tastes fantastic, and will add some healthy fat to your diet. Your brain needs fat to function. If you want to have a chance at staying happy while you're doing this challenge, keep your brain healthy. That'll also help you get your calories up a bit and ... yum!!

You'll do great!

erin said...

Krista,
I know you don't know me very well, but I'm in your singles ward and I just have to tell you how much I love you! You are absolutely beautiful - inside AND out - and I so amazed at your dedication to do this! You CAN do it and you are such an inspiration to me! Keep up the awesome work! You are INCREDIBLE, girl! :)
-Erin Bates

Kr said...

I wish I knew how to comment on your comments. I assume blogger.com is smart like that. Thanks for all your words of encouragement!!